Bluetooth beacons for tracking warehouse assets
Bluetooth beacons can be used to bring more accuracy in tracking warehouse assets and warehouse inventory management in a number of ways. They can be used to:
- Track the location of warehouse assets in real time.
- Generate alerts when assets are moved outside of their designated areas.
- Monitor the condition of assets and send alerts if they are damaged or tampered with.
- Simplify asset checkout and check-in procedures.
To deploy Bluetooth mesh beacons for asset inventory management, you will need the following:
- A set of Bluetooth mesh beacons with long battery life / sleep facilities
- A Bluetooth mesh network gateway which does not require any expensive cabling
- A cloud based asset tracking software platform.
The first step is to deploy the Bluetooth mesh beacons throughout your facility, which becomes the backbone infrastructure for all systems to work – such as lone worker safety tracking, inventory, tracking, cold chain monitoring and security monitoring. The IoT starter kit helps you with this step. This will depend on the size of your facility and the number of assets you need to track. You will need to place the beacons in strategic locations so that they can provide good coverage of your facility.
Tracking Warehouse assets
Once the BLE beacons are deployed, you will need to configure them to work with your asset tracking software platform. This will involve providing the platform with the unique identifier for each beacon, as well as the location of the beacon in your facility.
Once the Bluetooth low enery beacons are configured, you can start tracking your warehouse assets. The asset tracking software platform will allow you to view the location of your assets in real time, as well as generate alerts if assets are moved outside of their designated areas.
Here are the steps on how to deploy Bluetooth mesh beacons to improve asset inventory management:
- Plan your deployment. This includes determining the number of beacons you need, where you will place them, and how you will configure them.
- Deploy the beacons. This can be done manually or using a beacon deployment tool.
- Configure the beacons. This involves providing the beacons with their unique identifiers and the location of your facility.
- Install the asset tracking software platform. This platform will allow you to view the location of your assets in real time and generate alerts.
- Start tracking your assets. Once the beacons are configured and the software platform is installed, you can start tracking your assets.
Here are some additional tips for deploying Bluetooth mesh beacons for asset inventory management:
- Use a beacon deployment tool to help you place the beacons in strategic locations.
- Configure the beacons to have a long battery life.
- Choose a software platform that is easy to use and that offers the features you need.
- Monitor the performance of your beacon network and make adjustments as needed.
By following these steps, you can deploy Bluetooth mesh beacons to improve asset inventory management in your facility at the lowest possible cost, highest reliability and low cost of ownership